Wednesday, March 16, 2005

This was the "thought of the day" in my email this morning:

"True kindness presupposes the faculty of imagining as one's own the suffering and joys of others." ~ Andre Gide

Kind of interesting as I sat here this morning hurting with a friend, and wishing that there was some way to ease the pain, willing to take it on myself if only I could do so. Which of course I can't. All I can do is listen, and offer my love and support. When someone I love hurts, I hurt. And I feel so helpless. I hate that sense of helplessness. I want to be able to do more.

What is my role? I'm not a dispenser of great wisdom or advice (although I remember being told one time that my advice was better than I thought... haha). I don't have all the right words, or insight. My words seem futile a lot of the time. I get frustrated with myself because sometimes I know in my heart what I mean or what I want to say, but don't always seem to be able to express it.

But I care. And I listen. I seem to have a role of being a listener, and an encourager. And maybe that is enough. Maybe it's someone else's job to fill in with the other things that are needed. Maybe I have to trust that what I am doing is enough, and that the rest will be provided.



Currently playing: Calmer of the Storm ~ downhere

When everything is wrong
The day has passed and nothing's done
And the whole world seems against me
When I'm rolling in my bed, there's a storm in my head
I'm afraid of sinking in despair.....

(Not for me this time... this song got me through many a bad time, but this time, it's not for me...)

No comments: