Wednesday, January 10, 2007

January Blizzard

We've had a nice, relatively mild winter. Until now....

Most of central SK got hit with a major blizzard today. We had high winds when I went to work at noon, by 2:00 it was snowing, and by 3:00 it was really bad. I tried to call my co-worker to tell her not to come in (she lives on the farm), and that I would work straight through till 8:00, but I couldn't reach her. She came in at 4:00, and shortly after that you could barely see across the street. It's now after 7:00, and you still can't see across the street!

Her husband came about 5:00 and told her she needed to go home with him -- because if they waited until 8:00 she probably wasn't going to get home! So I'm working later tonight.

In Saskatoon, the university was closed, they closed the bridges (there are several) this afternoon, buses stopped running at 6:00 p.m., several highways are closed, businesses closed and sent employees home... my friend's daughter was one who was sent home. When Robbie talked to her at 4:30, she'd been stuck in traffic for 2 hours. And she doesn't live very far from work!

Oh well.... at least we don't get avalanches here. ;-)

Josh asked for a picture, so I tried to take one tonight from the open doorway. It was dark outside, and all I got was snow all over the lens of the camera. :-P


Fortunately, I only live 2 blocks from home. I think that Sheldon has his dad's truck tonight, so I'll see if he can give me a ride home. Otherwise, I'll be bundling up and walking. ;-)

2 comments:

The Great Mooski said...

You only live two blocks from home? *giggle*

I think all that cold froze your brain!! ;-) (I know you meant you work 2 blocks from home, right?)

We had sleet/freezing rain today and school was cancelled. LOL. A far cry from a blizzard!!!!

September said...

Hahahahahaha..... oops! It was either frozen brain or frozen fingers! Ack, the brain is frozen most days... lol.