Sunday, February 11, 2007

Winning basketball

The boys won all their games, and won the tournament. I'm proud of them. They not only played well, but they demonstrated great sportsmanship, as did their coach.

One of the other teams had a terrible coach. All he did was yell at his boys constantly, he never seemed to have a word of encouragment, and he harrassed the refs to the point where he got called with two technical fouls. Two technicals, and a coach is removed from the game. Because they didn't have an assistant coach with them, the game had to be called. The game itself had been a good game -- good competition, lots of excitement. But one stupid coach ruined it. His players were embarrassed. When the teams shook hands afterward, the coach did the whole patting-on-the-back, "good game!" phoniness... but his players apologized. Thankfully they had alot more class than their coach. Then he went up to the ref that he had been harrassing, and started into something again, and the principal had to step in and tell him to stop.

I don't think the school will be inviting them back again next year if he's still coaching. It's too bad.

Aside from that, though, it was a great tournament.

The coach did a display of all the players with their pictures, their #, nickname, their favorite sports person, favorite sports moment, etc. On each was a comment from the coach. For Sheldon's, he wrote: "Sheldon is the absolute heart and soul of the team. He makes us believe in each other." I liked that. :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice thing to hear about your son!

I know what you mean about rude coaches. At one school I worked at, though, the PARENTS were worse than the coaches. :p

Slicer said...

Sometimes it's hard to contain yourself when in the heat of the battle. I've been fortunate in that I'm somehow able to control myself. I could easily get rude without the Spirit in me.

Glad your son is being recognised as a leader, #9. That's GREAT stuff!

September said...

If only it had been just a "heat of the moment" thing. This guy did this over and over again throughout the game, deliberately saying things to the ref when he was nearby. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments. I am proud of my son. :-)