Sunday, April 30, 2006

Some of you will have read this elsewhere, but I'll post it here anyway...

Grammie is doing okay, but it varies from day to day. She was having a really good day when I was there last Monday. She seems to be getting mixed up on her meds -- either not taking some, or thinking she's taken them when she hasn't, etc. She has several meds, to be taken at different times, and she thinks she has it straight, but then gets confused. A home-care nurse was coming to see her to help get all that straightened around for her. When she has the meds straight, then she feels quite a bit better. Otherwise she's in pain, nauseous and can't eat. She's lost a ton of weight, is down to maybe 100 lbs.

She lives on her own, in a small suite in a senior's "complex" I guess you'd call it. A number of suites, with a common lounge area. The other residents keep an eye on her and are wonderful to her, but she knows that she is at a point now where she needs more care. After being violently sick to her stomach at 4:00 in the morning, alone...... she doesn't want to be alone anymore. So she's waiting to get into palliative care in a nursing home across the street from where she lives.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the doctor says that the cancer may have spread to her lungs.

One funny point -- or at least my family with our warped sense of humor thinks it's funny -- is that the doctor told her that she is eligible to qualify for medicinal marijuana (which is legal here) for the pain and nausea. So we've had numerous and ongoing laughs about Grammie smokin' up.... lol. (I have no idea if she'll actually apply for it, but it's made for some laughs, anyway. )

I'm glad that we had a good visit, I feel more at peace now. Thanks everyone for your prayers and hugs. They are very much appreciated. :)

Oh, and my brother is flying out in a couple of weeks to see Grammie. I may go down that weekend as well.

On another note, I've been trying to do more walking lately. At this time it's more for my physical health than my mental/emotional/spiritual... although it helps with all of those, too! :D In the past, I'd say it was more for those reasons. Anyway, I bought myself some new shoes the other day, and I'm going to try keeping a bit of a fitness log, just to (hopefully) keep me motivated. I really would like to lose a few pounds as well. Darn, but that middle-age thing has a way of sneaking up on a person.... :P

I'm working on some summer vacation plans... a couple of weeks in Arizona. I've never taken two full weeks off from work.... lol. I used to just take a week in the summer, and use the rest of my vacation time up here and there throughout the year.

The youth held 30-Hour Famine at our church this weekend. We only have a couple of youth at our church. My niece (she's 22) leads a youth group at the Baptist church (which kids from all denominations attend) -- and she has organized and lead the 30-Hour Famine for the past 4 years at our church, with kids from the youth group participating. There were 17 kids and 3 leaders taking part this year. They did the readings in church this morning and had a short presentation. It was really good. They got fed tacos when they were done fasting, later this afternoon. ;)

*~*~*~*~*
Currently playing: The River ~ Live
Tonight's walk: 40 minutes

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our kids were supposed to do the 30-Hour Famine, but I got no support from the parents or the church members. I'm glad your youth enjoyed it.