Thursday, January 27, 2005

Birthday reflections

So, tomorrow is my baby's 16th birthday. Wow..... how did that happen?!?

It doesn't seem so long ago since he was my adorable little toddler, so shy that I had people tell me "He'll never be able to go to school, you know.... he's just too shy". LOL. Yeah.... well, they were wrong. He not only went to school without any problem, he's grown into a wonderfully bright, confident, and outgoing young man (the teachers now say "He's a great student, but he has a tendency to talk too much in class... haha). Still as easy-going as ever, and just an all-around great kid. :-)

Only 2 1/2 years of high school left. Man.... I do NOT look forward to the empty nest.... I have one who is a home-body, one who is restless and adventurous (my 'gypsy')... I think S. will be somewhere in between. He has the self-confidence but I don't think has quite the same adventurous spirit as his sister. Although time will tell. *sigh* Sometimes it's hard to let them fly.....

I remember being 16. I hope and pray that he's so much wiser than I was at that age. Peer pressure is tough at the best of times.

(Such random thoughts, as usual.)

Baked his birthday cake, and I think it's cooled off enough that I can go ice it. Chocolate..... mmmmmm.... :-D Not sure when we'll eat it tomorrow -- he has a basketball tournament on Friday/Saturday, first game is at 6:00. Oh well, I'm sure we can fit it in sometime... it's cake after all!

7 comments:

fatchans said...

Do we get a cake report?

September said...

Cake report.... You know, when my kids were young, I used to decorate their birthday cakes in all sorts of cool ways. Over the years we had Garfield, rainbows, basketball, various team logos, a Rubik's cube, Bob & Larry... and many more. In the past few years, I'm afraid it's been a simple cake, frosting, maybe some sprinkles and a Happy Birthday... lol.

So, this cake was chocolate, chocolate frosting, some sprinkles.... haha. But it tastes wonderful!

fatchans said...

feb 3, 9:20am

(why don't they have a date stamp on the comments???)
I'd like a Rubik's Cube cake. Did you make it "solved" or "random"? (where are the smileys???) I shoulda checked here a few days ago...

September said...

It was "unsolved". Man, do you have any idea how long it takes to ice all those little squares?!?! Seemed like a good idea at the time, but I'd never do one again!

September said...

Testing the timestamp thing... I changed my settings, let's see if works.

fatchans said...

we let the kids decorate their own cake for the last couple of birthdays. Since it's just us, it didn't really matter. Perhaps if we did a proper birthday party, with guests, it wouldn't be so appropriate to serve fingerpainted cake.

September said...

I actually think that's pretty cool. Then it's really "their" cake, isn't?

It seems that you and your family don't do things in what might be considered a "traditional" way, but what is important is that you do them as a family. I love getting insight into your family, John, and your relationship with your kids -- always inspires me. :-)